Add cinnamon if you like. Think cinnamon rolls sans flour and butter.
The best part? 10-15 minutes from start to finish.
Second best part? Only three ingredients!
Thanks to Dorie Greenspan for giving me the idea in her recipe, Rosy Pear and Pistachio Tart–posted earlier this week. She used caramelized pistachios–made in a more traditional way and used to garnish. But I prefer to make them in a microwave and eat them straight.
Skinny Secret: Nuts may be addictive. Best taken to parties where you have help eating them.
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 to 1¼ cup whole, shelled pecans or pistachios (haven’t tried any other nuts)
- Add water to sugar in a 2-quart glass batter bowl. Do not stir. (I highly recommend you buy an inexpensive glass 2-quart batter bowl if you cook in a microwave very often.)
- Microwave on High for 6-7 minutes (see note) or until sugar mixture starts turning golden. DO NOT STIR.
- (Times vary with different MW ovens so watch carefully the first time or two until you figure out the exact time needed in your oven. It’s easy to burn. Remember things cooked in a microwave continue to cook for a short time after removed from the oven.)
- Add nuts and MW on High for 30 seconds. Give a quick stir and finish with another 30 seconds on High.
- Quickly (and I do mean quickly) pour onto parchment paper, a silicone baking mat or well-greased cookie sheet. Allow to cool.
- Break up with your fingers. If caramel pulls in to thin thread-like strands when you try to break up the nuts, let it cool longer. If that doesn’t work, you probably didn’t cook it long enough.