My friend Larry called these Hearty Baked Beans “the best baked beans I ever had.” Perhaps he was extra hungry. Or maybe he was appreciating food he didn’t have to make himself. Nevertheless, he’s a wonderful cook so I’m believing it. Here is the recipe as promised.
Since they contain ground beef and sausage, these beans are a meal in their own right. They’re also a tasty side for steaks, pork chops, burgers, etc. Serve them at your next cook-out. Take them to a potluck. Or fix them for a sick neighbor or friend.
My favorite way to eat them is with potato chips using the beans as a dip.
- 5-6 slices bacon
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound sausage (I like the HOT variety)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (I like the red ones best)
- 2 16-ounce cans pork and beans
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In large skillet, fry bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and discard grease.
- In same skillet, brown ground meat, draining off excess fat. Add onions and bell peppers. Cook until vegetables soften. Add pork and beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the meat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer beans to greased 2-quart dish. Crumble bacon over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to stand an additional 10 minutes before serving.
Other side dishes you might enjoy: