I realize I’m walking into dangerous territory. Potato salad is right up there with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and chocolate cream pie. Everybody likes their mama’s best. But just in case you don’t have a favorite already, try this one.
The same sister who makes good fried pies also makes a wonderful potato salad. This may be another recipe she got from her southern mother-in-law. I’m not sure.
Kay’s recipe is unique in that the dressing is cooked. It has much more flavor than potato salad made with straight mayonnaise. Because I’m not a mustard or raw onion lover, I like that there is no mustard (but you could add it if you like) and the onions are cooked in the dressing.
If you think this sounds like more trouble, it is. But not that much! Pull out your blender, food processor, or a good whisk to mix up the ingredients for the dressing. Then follow my directions for cooking it in the microwave. It’s foolproof–unlike the original recipe that called for cooking on top of the stove with constant stirring. It was easy to burn or curdle the old way.
And Kay, you probably won’t be surprised that I cut the amount of butter in half. You won’t miss it.
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¾ t. celery seed
- ¼ c. mayonnaise (I like the olive oil type)
- 7 medium potatoes, diced and cooked
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- Blend first 6 ingredients in a blender, food processor or with a whisk until smooth. Add butter and onions.
- Pour into 2 quart batter bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 4-5 minutes, whisking well after every minute (important so sauce will be cook evenly). Mixture should be thick like pudding.
- Add celery seed and mayonnaise to cooked dressing. Whisk till smooth. Fold in potatoes, eggs, and pickle relish. Garnish with smoked (or regular) paprika and chill. Serves 6
Nutritional Stats based on 10 servings per recipe:
- Calories 209
- Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 82 mg
- Sodium 380 mg
- Carbohydrates 33.8 g
- Fiber 3.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g