I like to use hot pork sausage and three colors of peppers for added color. Although you could use a mix or your own cornbread recipe, our favorite comes from the back of Lamb’s Stone Ground Corn Meal package. The sturdy texture makes it perfect for this recipe.
Try serving Upside-down Cornbread with a pot of pinto beans. Tastes fabulous crumbled into the beans and juice. OR pour canned or homemade enchilada sauce over it. A cheese sauce or queso would also be tasty. You might prefer it plain but we (the condiment family) like it best with a sauce.
- 1 pound Hot sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 recipe Southern Cornbread (see below)
- Lightly brown sausage in 10-inch skillet. It will get browner in the oven so don't go too brown now.
- Add onion and peppers to skillet and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over meat mixture.
- Pour cornbread batter on top. Bake in 450 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place serving plate over the top of skillet. Carefully flip cornbread over resulting in the meat layer on top.
- 1 cup stone ground corn meal (yellow or white)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (1/2 milk + ½ water)
- ¼ cup oil or bacon drippings (heat in baking pan until piping hot)
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add beaten egg and milk
- Pour hot oil into batter and stir briefly. Pour batter into 8 or 9-inch pan depending on how thin you like your cornbread.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 25 minutes.