It’s hard to beat pumpkin pie, but these Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Icing are right up there when it comes to celebrating the fall season. Delicately flavored brown butter icing complement the cinnamon and pumpkin perfectly. Chopped pecans not only add class but also flavor and crunchy texture to this otherwise simple cookie.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin, canned
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and combine. Add yogurt, vanilla and pumpkin.
- Combine with flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Drop by tablespoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes .
- Brown 2-3 T. butter (the real thing) in a small skillet. (May take several minutes on low heat—be careful not to burn or you have to start over.)
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon warm milk. Beat until smooth. May need to add more sugar or milk to get the right consistency. As it cools, it gets thick—just add a little more milk and stir.
- Ice cookies. Before icing dries, sprinkle with chopped, toasted pecans.
- These freeze beautifully. Wrap well.