If you have somebody in your family who thinks they don’t like squash, you might give this recipe a try. It’s also good for kids who like to eat with their hands and dip everything into ranch dressing.
The recipe for these simple but delicious patties was given to me by my friend Ellen. She’s always been one of my favorites. Written on the recipe is the following blurb, “This is the only way I can get Russ (her husband) to eat squash.”
- 1 pound yellow squash
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ chopped red peppers, optional
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ c. self-rising flour
- Freshly ground pepper
- Finely chop yellow squash and place into microwave-safe glass bowl along with onions and peppers. Microwave approximately 10 minutes or until squash is completely cooked and soft. Drain well.
- Add remaining ingredients to cooked squash and stir to combine.
- Drop by spoonfuls into hot, greased (I add about 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter) skillet.
- Cook until browned on one side, then flip to brown the other side (similar to making pancakes).